Saturday, 17 December 2011

17122011: The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart

Title: The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart
Author: Mathias Malzieu
Page Count: 176 

Summary: Edinburgh, 1874: Little Jack is born with a frozen heart and immediately undergoes a life-saving operation — the implantation of a cuckoo-clock in his chest. From then on his days all begin with a wind-up, in this dark, tender fairy tale spiced with devilish humour.
My Review: Initially I had mixed reviews on how I felt this book was, but at my book club discussion I found out that it is actually a prequel for a different book that Mathias Malziue has written and with knowing that it has helped me realised exactly what I felt was wrong with the book. Basically I can't help but comment on how this book was a lovely read and completely well written, almost poetical in some places (but what do you expect when the author is in a band) and the story was also very interesting! The fault comes right at the end (why have I read so many books with weak endings?) I felt that the book did round off well without leaving too many questions but it just ended so abruptly that you're left for wanting more and pretty confused as to why the ending was so drab, but as I have mentioned that it's a prequel so really it does makes sense. I guess he must have written this to add more of a background to the other book so in that case it does exactly what it was supposed too, unfortunately the other book hasn't been translated so I can't read it, yet. This book is very good and as soon as I know the other book is available I will be reading it, mostly in hope that it will improve my opinion on this dull ending. Okay, I really need to stop focusing on that because holy poo the rest of the book WAS good, I promise. The whole idea, concept and storyline was so well written and strung together.
Recommend: Yes.
Rating: 3/5 - may become a 3 after reading the other book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.