1 Northern Plunder: I aim to misbehave.: Video Game Review: Gone Home

Wednesday, 13 July 2016

Video Game Review: Gone Home



Gone Home by The Fullbright Company
Genre:
Adventure / Exploration

Release Date:
15th August 2013

Copy bought for myself via Steam
 
Synopsis:
June 7th, 1995. 1:15 AM
You arrive home after a year abroad. You expect your family to greet you, but the house is empty. Something's not right. Where is everyone? And what's happened here? Unravel the mystery for yourself in Gone Home, a story exploration game from The Fullbright Company.

Gone Home is an interactive exploration simulator. Interrogate every detail of a seemingly normal house to discover the story of the people who live there. Open any drawer and door. Pick up objects and examine them to discover clues. Uncover the events of one family's lives by investigating what they've left behind.

Go Home Again.

A video game you say? Lauren's reviewing a video game?

Yes, yes I am. I've been playing with this idea for some time as I've typed up a few on Steam as I've completed them.

Last Summer during the Steam sale I finally decided to pick up Gone Home. Gone Home had created a bit off a fuss after its release but some people decided it couldn't be classed as a video game or that it was too short for its price. Its because of this I decided to wait until a sale so I wasn't paying too much.

However I really disagree with those that created a fuss. Luckily I don't think those people damaged the game too much because its "mostly positive" in reviews currently and overall on Steam which I agree with.

The below is what I wrote after finishing the game:

I loved loved loved this game.
I completed this in one sitting because I had the time and didn't mind reading everything, though playing it over a few shorter sprints wouldn't ruin the story at all.

Gone Home is a simple explore to unlock the story, or in this case as you explore you find letters written to the protagonist and find out about the home itself through items you can interact with.

Its very enjoyable with a good soundtrack, plus a few Easter eggs too.

Looking back on that review its short and sweet, much like the game. I really liked the story that was told and how it unfolded, it was such a nice change. Other pros are the female protagonist and LGBT themes.

I recommend playing this game

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/450708455581092002/8FCB3AABF4B803362C3F1B24C6A87A02A2B41C2C/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/450708455581091647/D23CDD5D13E90512CD6CCF5ACD629D150981241F/

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a short game. Are you doing the Pokemon thing too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was short but I felt it was worth it. Hell yeah you know I am. It only came out yesterday here officially.

      Delete
  2. Haven't heardof this one, but like the art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The art is definitely really cool in this story.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.