1 Northern Plunder: I aim to misbehave.: Book Tour Review: Dream Magic by Joshua Khan

Friday, 7 April 2017

Book Tour Review: Dream Magic by Joshua Khan


Dream Magic by Joshua Khan
Series: Shadow Magic #2
Genre: Middle Grade | Fantasy
Length: 336 pages
Published on 6th April 2017 by Scholastic
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD | Waterstones | WhSmith
Joshua Khan: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
Received from Scholastic via Faye Rogers

Synopsis: In a world ruled by six ancient Houses of Magic, a girl and a boy begin an epic and dangerous journey of discovery . . . Lileth Shadow, princess of darkness, is struggling with her growing powers. Castle Gloom is filling with ghosts, zombies roam the country and people throughout Gehenna are disappearing. Then Lily is attacked in her own castle by a mysterious sorcerer known as Dreamweaver and his army of jewel-spiders whose bites send victims to sleep. Thorn, and his giant bat Hades, must save Lily from the realm of sleep and help her overcome the evil Dreamweaver in order for her to reclaim her kingdom.

Once Faye emailed me about the chance to get to read the sequel to Shadow Magic I jumped at the chance because I hadn't enjoyed a really good middle grade fantasy in years.

When Dream Magic arrived I was happy to see the cover matched but lacked any of the sparkley-ness that Shadow Magic had however I'm so happy that the publishers kept the children on the front the right age because it really hits home the amount of crap they deal with in this book and pretty successfully too.

I was so happy to meet Lily, Hades, Thorn, and Mary again. Maybe not some of the other familiar faces (Gabe I'm looking at you, you little weasel).

I was a tiny bit worried that Dream Magic would suffer the dreaded second book syndrome but you will be very happy to hear it doesn't and its as entertaining and as fast paced to read as the first. I enjoyed every moment.

We get a closer look at trolls, zombies, and different types of magic in this book. As well as some pretty spooky crystal spiders which honestly gave me a nightmare one night. (They lay eggs inside of dead bodies and burst out of them. I'd also been cleaning my dogs ears daily so one night I had the two combine into a nightmare of spiders crawling out of ears. Gross! - though I do promise the book isn't that a horror, I just have a great imagination).

A favourite element of mine of this story is that it introduces the main plot in little stages so its a bit of a mystery but once everything falls into place its great and the wait is definitely paid off.

I honestly can't recommend this series enough because I really wish I had gotten to grow up with something like this existing (I think I pretty much only read Jacqueline Wilson growing up) that is fully of magic, zombies, and adventure.

Looking forward to seeing how things continue for sure.
4 stars / 5 stars

This is the second of the series, feel free to check out my review of the first book

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.