Friday, 16 June 2017

Graphic Novel Review: Snotgirl, Vol 1: Green Hair Don't Care by Bryan Lee O'Malley


Snotgirl, Vol. 1: Green Hair Don't Care by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Series: Snotgirl #1-5
Genre: Graphic Novel | Mystery
Length: 144 pages
Published on 28th February 2017 by Image Comics
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD | Waterstones | WhSmith
Bryan Lee O'Malley: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
Leslie Hung: Website | Twitter | Goodreads
Copy bought for myself.

Synopsis:  
Who is Lottie Person?
Is she a gorgeous, fun-loving social media star with a perfect life or a gross, allergy-ridden mess? Enter a world of snot, blood, and tears in this first collection from New York Times Best Seller Bryan Lee O'Malley (Scott Pilgrim, Seconds) and dazzling newcomer Leslie Hung!
I didn't know anything about this graphic novel when I picked it up other than I really liked the art style.

Pretty much straight away you're introduced to Lottie Person who is a fashion blogger (snotgirl) and I was a little worried this was the focus point as I have no interest in fashion.

However, it did show the importance of how social media only shows a snippet of someones life; Lottie's readers have no idea about her allergies and day to day struggles. She's only ever The Fashion Blogger to them and I think that is something we all need to remember given how often we all use social media these days.

Regardless of my initial worries he really cool art, Lottie, and the interesting secondary characters who had nicknames (cool girl, cute girl) to match their personalities really made them stand out.

Then things got dark. Quickly.

I'm so glad I stuck with it because this graphic novel is a mystery.

Lottie gets a new doctor who prescribes her a new allergy pill and whenever she has one things don't go quiet right.

The vibes I got from this novel reminded me a lot of Perfect Blue (or I guess Black Swan if you don't watch anime movies) so I'm really stoked to keep reading to find out what the truth behind the mystery that happens.

I don't really want to go into the things that go wrong too much as its a graphic novel so it can be read very quickly and I don't want to take your enjoyment from it.

Just trust me its a good read and I'm very interested.

Finally, if you're a fan of Bryan Lee O'Malley's you'll be happy to know that even though he's not the illustrator for this piece its still very clear he's involved with it as there are a lot of similarities between this and his other pieces.
5 stars / 5 stars

I'll have to wait for the next volume to be created + published but I want to keep reading it.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like an air head kind of story first impression so it's good that there's a mystery twist at some point

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.