Friday, 21 July 2017

Poetry Review: The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace


The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace
Series: n/a
Genre: Poetry | Feminism
Length: 208 pages
Published on 23rd March 2017 by Andrews McMeel Publishing
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD | Waterstones | WhSmith
Amanda Lovelace: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
Copy bought for myself - both the indie  + the published version.


Synopsis: the princess saves herself in this one is a collection of poetry about resilience. It is about writing your own ending.

From Amanda Lovelace, a poetry collection in four parts: the princess, the damsel, the queen, and you. The first three sections piece together the life of the author while the final section serves as a note to the reader. This moving book explores love, loss, grief, healing, empowerment, and inspiration.
I don't read poetry like, ever?  I don't think I would even call myself  a fan of poetry but this book changed that a little.

But given that I've spoken to Amanda a few times I decided to do what people do and support people they know!

So I bought a copy of her self published book and read it on the train to see my boyfriend. 

This train in particular was so full that every seat was full, the walk ways were full, and the area in front of the doors were full. I was near the doors and decided to just brave it by sitting on the floor because there is no way I could do such a long journey stood up. Thankfully everyone around me followed suit so I didn't get squished.

So you had to know this scene because I do not like crying in front on people. I do not like crying in public places. 

But that didn't stop me.

This book just, man, I don't even know what it was okay? It just hit me.  

So many of these poems just had a lot of impact to them and I related to so many of them too. Hence the tears, possibly.

It was just so honest and real. I never thought it possible to relate so well to poetry. 

(And its definitely improved my opinions of it to the extent I'll happily give other collections a try.)

I read it all in one go and immediately left it at my boyfriends for his sister to read.

I don't reread books like, ever?

But when I saw that Amanda was getting published and it would include more poems then of course I jumped on board given my strong reaction and love of the first. 

In fact I was so hype that I also bought a second copy to do art in because I felt this was possible when I was first reading it in tears on the train floor.

The new poems stuck out to me, simply because I found the old ones very memorable so it was nice that I could pinpoint what was new content.

However, I didn't have such a strong reaction to it this time. Perhaps I was more prepared? Perhaps I should stick to my "don't reread books" plan of action?

Either way the extra copy didn't go to waste, I did a giveaway on Twitter for it and Angharad (the winner) also really enjoyed it [4 star rating n GR].

I still highly recommend it, and its totally my own fault for not enjoying it as much the second time round.
4 / 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.