Monday 7 October 2013

Attempting Univeristy


So as some of you may know I have recently moved to a new city, into student accommodation and started a MDES in Graphic Design/Illustration, and because this is a totally new experience for myself I thought it may be a nice idea to share it with my readers too.

I wasn't really sure what to call this little segment because I'm not 100% sure what it will end up including or how often it'll be either.

But I've decided on "Attempting University" for the time being simply because that is exactly what it feels like, it feels like I'm attempting it but ultimately failing at being a regular student.

Not that I can really complain.

Yesterday marked the end of my second week here.

But a whole two weeks living in a new city. Alone. People forget how daunting that can be and honestly it took myself a while to realise exactly what I've signed up for here.

I don't regret it one bit, its nice to have more freedom and feel more like me, even with all the downsides.

I'm hoping once I have a larger body of work to choose from I can start using this little section to share some of the work I've done, even though it probably wont be book related. 


6 comments:

  1. I would really like to see your work!
    I suppose it can be hard at the beginning, but I'm sure that in a few weeks you'll feel like home and it won't be "attemptin" any more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should hopefully be able to scan some of it in soon, or photograph depending on size. At the moment we're doing a lot of sketch based work though.
      Thank you

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean my dear. It's been a few years since I first went off to University but it was in a new country and the hardest part was getting used to being away from the family. I was very homesick for a long while but what really got me through the university life was my room mate. We became good friends and she was very good company. We had lots of mini adventures together. I don't know if you have room mates or if they are people you can connect with but if they are not I say the best thing for you to do right now, being in a new place, is to find people you can connect with on some level. Attend little get togethers, check out some clubs. Sit next to someone you don't know in your classes and start up a conversation. Even if you are an introvert (I definitely am) don't try to isolate yourself from everyone. You don't have to be a social butterfly but it's a good idea to have one or two people you can mingle with in this new city.

    Also your major is something I am interested in even if my art skills are meh so I would love to see your work! ^_^. Share all your adventures with us.

    Sandt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its such an odd experience, I didn't really expect this but then again I wasn't really sure what to expect.
      That is great to hear, my flat mates are lovely but we aren't that close, I've made some great friends on my course though so far.

      I'll keep you updating indeed, thank you so much :)

      Delete
  3. Just enjoy the experience, Lauren. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and next thing you know, you'll be busier than a bee. I'm sure you'll do fine and if you need to rant, we're here to rant with you.

    P.S. How are you liking AHS? You can watch the series as stand-alone, the seasons are completely different plots. I'm looking forward to S3, witches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am so very busy. I'm getting most of the tasks done but its never ending, this week is a little slower though so trying to have more me time, woo!

      I loved AHS, I've started S2 and S3 together, ooops. This could get confusing haha.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.