Monday 25 June 2012

Review: Dark Kiss

Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1)
Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen
Published: May 29th 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Page Count: 348
Synopsis: I don't do dangerous.  Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me....
Review: I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book as I've never read a book with an angel in before. Or at least not one that I can remember. But this book definitely made an impression on me. I did almost gave it 4 stars instead of 3.5 and though I enjoyed what I read I have a feeling the second book will be a lot better and this really set up for a great sequel. This story follows Sam who is a normal teen in every sense possible, bland looking, good grades and a bit of thievery whilst he parents were going through a divorce. Well... I say normal because she starts off that way, until she gets kissed by the boy next door. Ooops big mistake! Soon afterwards, before she realises how much of a mistake the kiss was, she stumbles into the path of an Angel and shortly afterwards a Demon. The Angel and Demon are currently on Earth to protect the area from another being that is taking peoples souls, creating others who can take their soul through a simple but deadly kiss and now Sam has to help. Or does she? Sam is left in a difficult position because lets face it having all this dumped on you in one night is not something easily dealt with and did I mention she witnessed a murder too? Its not something normal people can deal with easily which is why I guess its a good job that with Sam no longer having a soul, it makes her (and only her) very special indeed. I do have to nit pick with a few things about Sam, I enjoyed the male characters a lot more than I did her and I also feel like we can expect a huge flip in personality if we meet Carly again, but as for Sam I think sometimes she needed to trust her gut instincts a bit more and not be pushed about my other characters because lets be honest *spoiler* it was so obvious that the Source was simply using her and toying with her emotions and it was completely her own fault for misunderstanding Bishop's promise  and sometimes I felt like she was reading Bishop's emotions a bit too well through his eyes considering she'd never been involved with someone before but I was happy to dismiss this because it could also be down to her new found powers.*end spoiler*
Image from Life Ambrosia
Side Note: This book made me crave chicken wings, constantly. I want some now just thinking about it and reviewing it. Man can someone please give me some chicken wings? I finished this book on the 14th June and still haven't had any! Le sigh. Here lets just look at some yummy pictures instead.
Recommend? Yes.
Rating: 3.5/5

Amazon: UK | US
Michelle Rowen: GR | Website | Twitter | Facebook

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book or author, I'll have to look into it. It sounds like an interesting read.

    I wanted you to know I've awarded you the Liebster Award, you can find out more about it here: http://xjessiexbellex.blogspot.com/2012/06/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do highly suggest reading it :)I enjoyed every minute.

      & thank you very much!

      Delete
  2. Sorry for the intrusion!
    I wanted to tell you that I tagged you on my blog for the Liebster blog awards! (:

    Here's the post, answer the questions! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its okay! I'll be sure to check the post out shortly. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  3. Nice review! I have seen this cover in many places but never picked it up...
    Eh? first angel book? ooh, please don't let this stop you from reading more and more angel books! (I'm like an excited ambassador for Angel Books, haha!) Anyhow, seems like an okay read ^^

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wont stop :) I have at least one other on my shelf ready for me to pick up :D

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this, didn't flip over it..but like you felt book two was going to deliver what was missing. I like Kraven and the old homeless man who spoke in riddles and prose..great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more :P I'm expecting a lot more from Kraven next time round ;)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.