Thursday 15 August 2013

Word and Breath by Susannah Noel - Review

Word and Breath by Susannah Noel



Published: August 7th 2012
Publisher: Susannah Noel
Genre: Romance / Fantasy / Paranormal / Dystopia
Series: Wordless Chronicles #1
Page Count: 336

Synopsis: Riana has learned how to stay out of trouble. She spends her days studying written texts in the government’s Office of Readers, and she spends her nights taking care of her sick sister. She always—always—follows the rules. Despite her low profile, she has mysteriously become a target. Someone has kidnapped her sister. Someone else is trying to kill her. And someone has sent a Soul-Breather to beguile her out of her secrets.

Her help comes from the mythic leader of an underground rebel movement. A man who used to be her friend. A man who has silently loved her for years. He disappeared from her life without a word, and now he expects her to trust him again.

Then there’s the Soul-Breather, a man who can taste her spirit with only a touch. He makes her feel things she’s never experienced before, but she doesn't know if the feelings are real. Hired to deceive and betray her, he offers to help her instead.

Without both men, she can’t rescue her sister. And she can’t discover the world-changing knowledge—buried in her memory—that has made her a target in the first place.


Review: 
4 / 5 stars
I was lucky enough and very thankful to receive a copy of Word and Breath from Susannah Noel herself and boy do I have to apologise for taking so long to post this review.

I read Word and Breath during February this year and during this time I hit a reading slump for two reasons, one I was getting bogged down with college work and two, I read a lot in January and felt frazzled. So when I think back to Word and Breath I think to myself "Woah I loved this book but I have such a bad vibe from how I felt during that time that I don't know how to tackle this review". Luckily no matter how grotty I felt in February I still enjoyed this book a lot, which I guess just shows how good it is huh? It certainly allowed me to escape.

Enough excuses, moving on. Word and Breath follows Riana in a dystopia era of our world where reading is no longer common, its pretty much died out and only a few still bother to learn. Those people often end up working for the main government to cycle through any kind of writing, organise, file it and notify the authorities of any anomalies that might lead to rebel activity and their code words. Or of course they're the ones placing the secret codes for the rebels.

Riana lives a pretty normal life for someone who can read, she doesn't have friends and looks after her sister religiously, but before long her life gets turned upside down. First she gets almost mugged, then saved by a total hottie (which by the way, is really unusual in this time because people just don't help each other), her sister is kidnapped and held hostage for reasons she doesn't even know of and sooner or later she is dragged into the rebel underworld.

Though things aren't all bad, the hottie is also a Soul-Breather, which by the way the whole concept of is amazing and I can't even begin to explain how excited I am to read the next book and see the development of his character whilst he experiences all these new things! She also gets to spend time with an old friend who disappeared a few years ago, and whilst he too shines a light for her, it isn't one of those annoying love triangles, thank g-d!

What start off as a fairly slow paced book soon turned into a whirlwind of an adventure; fast paced and guns a blazing which I was struggling to put it down for college work at times! I loved finding out about the different groups fighting for power in their world, along with the real reason for why they were so interested in Riana and the fight to get her sister back unharmed. It was a thrilling tale, and I have a feeling the second book will not fall prey to the sequel suicide club!                                     

Susannah Noel: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
*When purchasing through this link, I will receive a small amount, once I have enough saved up I will put it towards a giveaway.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Amazing review and I love how you could write one up so well seeing as though you read the book that long ago haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.