Wednesday 19 February 2014

Series Reivew: Scott Pilgrim #1-2 by Bryan Lee O'Malley



Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little LifeScott Pilgrim Vs. the World (Scott Pilgrim, #2)

Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Published: 2004 - 2010
Publisher: Oni Press
I can not promise that these reviews will be spoiler free, especially as they're graphic novels!

Goodreads
Page Count: 168
Read Date: 13th January 2013
Synopsis: Scott Pilgrim's life is totally sweet. He's 23 years old, he's in a rock band, he's "between jobs," and he's dating a cute high school girl. Nothing could possibly go wrong, unless a seriously mind-blowing, dangerously fashionable, rollerblading delivery girl named Ramona Flowers starts cruising through his dreams and sailing by him at parties. Will Scott's awesome life get turned upside-down? Will he have to face Ramona's seven evil ex-boyfriends in battle? The short answer is yes. The long answer is Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life.
Review: I spent a lot of time deciding whether I would review the Scott Pilgrim series and finally decided to take a shot at it, unfortunately I'm pretty sure they'll all end up as mini-reviews as not only are they short, they're also graphic novels so a lot of the story-telling is down to the art. As someone who has watched the movie at least five times I figured it was about time to read the books too as I had bought them all for the boyfriend, unfortunately I think this didn't help when it came to picking volume one up. Whilst I adore the humour, story and art of this series I kind of expected there to be more than what was shown in the movies, you know a little more padded? and it wasn't. I know I shouldn't really criticise the book for this, but instead congratulate the movie for cutting so little out, but it did leave me feeling a little disappointed which is why I couldn't go for a full 4 stars. I think now that I know to expect it to my very very similar to the movie I'll enjoy the rest of the series more.
3.5 / 5 stars

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World
Goodreads
Page Count: 200
Read Date: 24th December 2013

Synopsis: Does Scott and Ramona's burgeoning relationship have a future? Isn't Scott still supposedly dating Knives Chau? Who is Ramona's second evil ex-boyfriend, and why is he in Toronto? Who are The Clash At Demonhead, and what kind of bizarre art-punky music do they play? Who's their hot girl keyboardist, and what is Scott's relation to her? Why are they Knives Chau's new favourite band? Fights! Drama! Secrets revealed! The answers to all these questions and more!
Review: This book follows Scott as his relationship with Ramona becomes a little more solid, he realises he'll have to face his ex at some point soon and the leading up too and "training" to fight Ramona's evil ex-boyfriend #2. I can finally see what the fuss is about, I definitely preferred this book seeing as though it had less similarities with the movie which allowed me to enjoy reading it more. My favourite scene that wasn't in the movie would have to be Knives Chau and Ramona's meeting/fight scene in the library, which makes me feel like that Knive's character is a lot more developed in the story which I'll be happy to read more about.
4 / 5 stars

Amazon: UK | US
Bryan Lee O'Malley: Website | Twitter | GR | Facebook