Saturday 9 June 2012

Review: Divergent & Free Four

Divergent (Divergent #1)
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Published: January 1st 2011
Publisher: Harper Collins
Page Count: 487
Series: Divergent #1
Synopsis: Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.
Review: 48 hours later and I've finally decided to tackle this review, I don't know why I found it so hard other than the fact it left me a little speechless, but not speechless in the normal sense, more like I have so much I want to say that I don't know where I want to start and I don't want to give away any spoilers. First up we're introduced to Beatrice and the five different factions, it took me a little while to get my head around each one and I did wonder why only five but to be honest if there were any more my head may have fallen off. At the age of 16 each person is to take a test and pick a faction that they wish to live as a part of for the rest of their lives, its a pretty big decision too because ultimately it could mean abandoning their family. Once they've made their decision they then have to go through an initiation process to become a part of their new (or old) faction, not so bad right? well actualyl yes it is because if they fail they're thrown to the streets and made factionless (pretty much homeless people who have very little comfort in their lives). As I started reading this book someone told me that the initiation process took up 99% of the book and I immediately thought of this as a bad thing, I was sat thinking how could something be dragged out for so much of the book and not bore the reader, or leave the reader wanting more to happen but boy was I wrong! I believe this was done purposefully because it really gave you time to know each and every character no matter how main (or little) of a role they had, you grew attached even if you didn't want to and grew upset when they changed for better or for worse - if you've read it you know who and what I'm talking about. I honestly found that scene a little heartbreaking and unsure of why Al took such drastic measures. Obviously I adored Four as a character even if I did figure out the meaning of his name and where he was from a good while before we were let on to the truth - which at the time made me angry because I felt the book would end up at 3 stars because I hate guessing what happens - luckily things happened and changed my mind. I really don't want to give too much away about this book because I picked it up knowing nothing about it other than it was supposed to be really good and to be honest it was and I'm happy I didn't know what to expect because it allowed me to have no expectation of what was supposed to happen. One last thing I would like to mention is that some people felt the ending was a little rushed, but I think it was done on purpose to represent her rush of adrenaline, and because of this I felt the ending was super strong, and for it make the entire book so lovable. Now I'm going to have to sit back and cry a little because the boyfriend has banned me from buying any more books and I want to know what happens next.
Recommend? I've been sat with this page open for an hour without even knowing where to start so I say yes, just read it and that way you know my rating was probably right and it doesn't matter I couldn't form a review.

Free Four: Tobias Tells the Story, is a novella of one of the chapters from Fours point of view, its very short but a great read, and its funny how seeing the scene from his perspective can make such an impact and impression.
Rating: 4.5/5
Amazon: UK | US
Veronica Roth: GR | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr
For more detailed and spoilerish discussion on Divergent you can also check out and join in the BotM discussion over at Misc Reads

6 comments:

  1. Damn! Damn! Damn! I need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do. I have no idea why I took so long getting to it but its super super good.

      Delete
  2. Great Review Cupcake..i loved Four too, and I wondered why only five factions too..but the world-building was good. Book two Insurgent is awesome and I think I liked it even more then this one..it was faster paced and darker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh it sounds so great, I prefer darker stories cause they tend to draw me in a lot more.

      Delete
  3. For me, I did feel like the pacing of this book was awkward, if if it did serve the purpose you suggested. But honestly, I loved the initiation process. I loved the details about simulations and overcoming fears and all of that. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too, I thought it helped really get you to understand the Dauntless and the ideal that they were now trying to create rather than how it was when Four signed up.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.