Wednesday 20 June 2012

Wishlist Wednesday (4)


Wishlist Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Pen to Paper where we can share books that are on our wishlist. 

FeedBack to my usual selection of books, Feed by Mira Grant, it is the first in a trilogy and I've heard a lot of good things about it, I've seen it in store many times and wanted to buy it but money only stretches so far, right?
GR: In 2014, two experimental viruses—a genetically engineered flu strain designed by Dr. Alexander Kellis, intended to act as a cure for the common cold, and a cancer-killing strain of Marburg, known as "Marburg Amberlee"—escaped the lab and combined to form a single airborne pathogen that swept around the world in a matter of days. It cured cancer. It stopped a thousand cold and flu viruses in their tracks. It raised the dead. Millions died in the chaos that followed. The summer of 2014 was dubbed "The Rising," and only the lessons learned from a thousand zombie movies allowed mankind to survive. Even then, the world was changed forever. The mainstream media fell, Internet news acquired an undeniable new legitimacy, and the CDC rose to a new level of power. Set twenty years after the Rising, the Newsflesh trilogy follows a team of bloggers, led by Georgia and Shaun Mason, as they search for the brutal truths behind the infection. Danger, deceit, and betrayal lurk around every corner, as does the hardest question of them all: When will you rise?


The Lies of Locke Lamora is me indulging my love of historical fiction although I suppose its not exactly historical fiction. Unlike last weeks book this one has been on my wishlist for awhile now, so I'm quite looking forward to eventually getting round to reading it. The Goodreads blurb (which I will post below) made it sound like a story with a bit of mystery which is what I feel like reading at the moment.
GR: An orphan’s life is harsh and often short in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains a man who is neither blind nor a priest. A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected “family” of orphans a group known as the Gentlemen Bastards. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the Bastards, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting. Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld’s most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful and more ambitious than Locke has yet imagined. Known as the Gray King, he is slowly killing Capa Barsavi’s most trusted men and using Locke as a pawn in his plot to take control of Camorr’s underworld. With a bloody coup under way threatening to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the Gray King at his own brutal game or die trying.

14 comments:

  1. Feed is phenomenal! Have you read Apocalypse scenario #683: The Box? It's a riveting short, and I do mean short, that I think it was written after Feed but explains so much about the virus and the first novel! It's my fav short to date! Here's My Review! if you're interested.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh. I haven't read it but it is 1.5 of the Feed series so hopefully I can check it out when I've read this :) I've added it to my wishlist. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I need to read Feed! It's been on my tbr list for too long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I should check Feed! It seems like an interesting read!
    Thank you for stopping by!

    Sara @ Sara In Bookland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does doesn't it. Uh I may just have to buy it soon.

      Delete
  4. I've heard lots of good things about Feed!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very interesting read! I know how you feel about the money thing though, last time I went to the bookstore I'd been dying to get 'the night circus' but I was more than an hour away from home and find a way back it was either pay for the cab or for the book.
    I hope you get your hands on it soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh thanks, me too strangely. Yeah I hate when you have to spend money on travel rather than books ;_;

      Delete
  6. I was hooked after virus haha. The nurse in me is so atracted to genetics and stuff like that! Will be adding this to my list! Thanks!
    Brittany (here's mine!) http://sparetimebookblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks amazing ;_; my wishlist is never ending though and I don't know how to afford all the books I want.

      Delete
  7. Feed looks real good! I just added it to my TBR yesterday. :D Hope you'll get to read them soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.