Tuesday 8 May 2012

08052012: A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Page Count: 674
Synopsis: Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective wall. To the south, the King's powers are failing, and his enemies are emerging from the shadows of the throne. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the frozen land they were born to. Now Lord Eddard Stark is reluctantly summoned to serve as the King's new Hand, an appointment that threatens to sunder not only his family but also the kingdom itself. A heroic fantasy of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and evildoers who come together in a time of grim omens. The first volume in George Martin's series.
My Review: A Game of Thrones has a huge standing reputation within the book community and I actually bought an eCopy of the book expecting to find it... okay at best. But boy was I wrong! It lived up to and excelled all the hype and praise that I have heard first or second hand, I was seriously taken back in surprise. It didn't take long for me to pick up watching the television series as well because I just couldn't get enough and hand to introduce it to my non-reader-of-a-boyfriend somehow, and by chance he actually took to it like glue too which gave me the excuse to buy another copy of the book in paperback for him to read, which he slowly but surely progressing through -  I have never been prouder, he bought a bookmark too! I realise I've drifted a little here but trust me if it wasn't that good, I wouldn't have two copies of the first two books and stuck with the television series. As this book is so large and never-ending (you know, cause its part of a super long series that is still being written) I decided to review it with a little bit of a twist - I'm not going to review the book. Nope. I'm instead going to give you my opinions on the main characters, and a few others. I hope you'll enjoy and at the end I'd like to hear what you think about the characters too, if that is okay? I really would love to discuss this book even more than I already have in a GR group.
Recommend: Why wouldn't you?!


WARNING: THERE'S PROBABLY SPOILERS BELOW OR HINT OF FUTURE EVENTS THAT I KNOW ABOUT BUT REALLY SHOULDN'T SO IT MAY NOT EVEN BE SAFE TO READ IF YOU'VE ONLY READ THE FIRST BOOK. IN FACT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPOIL THINGS JUST DON'T READ BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T READ AT LEAST THE FIRST THREE BOOKS. If you want to chance it then ignore the things that are in italics and crossed out. Also be warned, my language gets foul, I'm sorry - too many feels.

Ned Stark: As far as I'm aware, everyone loves Ned Stark. He is a man of honour and always aiming to do the right thing... which turns out to bite him on his ass.
Catelyn Stark/Tully: To be honest when I was first introduced to her character I thought she was stuck up and I really didn't like her attitude, at all. Especially her foulness that is aimed at my beloved Jon Snow - but we'll get to him later. Whether it be fortunately or unfortunately, I still have yet to decide, but I grew to like her as a character, mostly, there is a lot she has to deal with and for most of the part is strong as a character, I mean it is all her fault (it is, isn't it!) but in a way... she made a right decision, from her point of view.
Robb Stark: As a character we hear very little about him and I know he still isn't a POV character in the second book, I'm hoping maybe he gets to shine for the third (Guys, if you've read the third and you know what happens don't hint to me because I know but I don't want to spoil it for anyone reading it and just I can't deal with it and it's not actually going to happen. Ever. Cause I'm going to just y'know... skip that part) but I do really like him as a character.
Sansa Stark: I feel sorry for her because of how naive she is for most of the book but it seriously makes me wonder how the two sisters can be SO different and it took Sansa SO long to realise what was going on and such. I really enjoyed her growth as a character - which is a lot more prominent in the tv series. Basically I'm currently in a love/hate relationship with her, most of the time its love but the first half of the book she certainly got on my nerves.
Arya Stark: This girl is my spirit animal. I loved her from her first appearance and I think I will for the whole series, she's a perfect strong character and the complete opposite to that of her sister.
Bran Stark: Have you ever seen an actor with such a feminine face? He is beautiful. He isn't much of a significant character, yet. I'm pretty sure he'll blossom in book two. I like him though.
Jon Snow: *flails* Welcome to the most gorgeous face in the whole series. I really love his character, he is the underdog, the bottom of the pile because he's Ned's "bastard" child but even though he has this tough life set before him he still seems to be coming out on top, doing what he has and need to do whilst being so very caring about others - Arya and Samwell mostly - and he's just sngbioernvsljeriegj :)

The Imp: Oh my god, I love Tyrion. He may be a Lannister but I honestly believe that if and when it comes to it, he would be willing to the do the right and smart thing even if it means betraying his family. 

Daenerys Targaryen: I love her, I really do. She's only young and I think that is what everyone forgets, I love how her character develops and I'm aware the path she is going to take is going to be a tricky and bloody one but if you were in her shoes would there be a different path you could take and come out alive?

Khal Drogo: Just swoon, I feel sorry for him and its completely unfair what happens to him but I thought he was really sweet with Dany whilst he had the time.

I think that is it? Have I missed anyone?



Amazon: UK | US
George R. R. Martin: Website | LiveJournal | GR | Facebook

5 comments:

  1. I have the whole series on my kindle. Even the prequel that brother has already read and loved. I might have to give these a try. Hubby watches the series :) He is NOT a reader!

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boyfriend isn't a reader either but he's picked aGoT after watching the series cause he loved the series so much :')
      Its such a good read.

      Delete
  2. I loved the book (and the second) as well :) I'm hoping to move on to the third one soon. wait... Rickon's just a baaaaby! granted I haven't seen the series yet (I'm still in the never-ending request line from my library.) But otherwise, lovely character opinions! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it so so much, actually can't wait to be able to pick up the second one.
      I know he is, and he's not done much but just his attitude in the series, there is something really off putting about him.
      Glad you liked them :)

      Delete
  3. I'm ADORE these books. I want to BE Daenerys and I want to HAVE Robb! Both book and TV versions!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.