Wednesday 30 May 2012

Wishlist Wednesday (1)



I am no longer taking part in On My Wishlist due to the fact the host hasn't updated her blog since the start of May and I tried to contact her via twitter and haven't heard anything, luckily I found a great replacement that is up and running! Thank you.

Wishlist Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Pen to Paper where we can share books that are on our wishlist.


This week I decided on having a Natsuo Kirino themed week, I already have one of his books and really want to get my hands on some of his others.
Real WorldReal World: In a crowded residential suburb on the outskirts of Tokyo, four teenage girls indifferently wade their way through a hot, smoggy summer and endless “cram school” sessions meant to ensure entry into good colleges. There’s Toshi, the dependable one; Terauchi, the great student; Yuzan, the sad one, grieving over the death of her mother—and trying to hide her sexual orientation from her friends; and Kirarin, the sweet one, whose late nights and reckless behavior remain a secret from those around her. When Toshi’s next-door neighbor is found brutally murdered, the girls suspect the killer is the neighbor’s son, a high school boy they nickname Worm. But when he flees, taking Toshi’s bike and cell phone with him, the four girls get caught up in a tempest of dangers—dangers they never could have even imagined—that rises from within them as well as from the world around them. Psychologically intricate and astute, dark and unflinching, Real World is a searing, eye-opening portrait of teenage life in Japan unlike any we have seen before.

OutOut: Nothing in Japanese literature prepares us for the stark, tension-filled, plot-driven realism of Natsuo Kirino’s award-winning literary mysteryOutThis mesmerizing novel tells the story of a brutal murder in the staid Tokyo suburbs, as a young mother who works the night shift making boxed lunches strangles her abusive husband and then seeks the help of her coworkers to dispose of the body and cover up her crime. The coolly intelligent Masako emerges as the plot’s ringleader, but quickly discovers that this killing is merely the beginning, as it leads to a terrifying foray into the violent underbelly of Japanese society. At once a masterpiece of literary suspense and pitch-black comedy of gender warfare, Out is also a moving evocation of the pressures and prejudices that drive women to extreme deeds, and the friendships that bolster them in the aftermath.


InIn: R is the other woman. Labelled simply with one initial, her identity in the famous 1940s novel that recounts the damage she did to her lover's family remains shrouded in mystery. The novelist who carried out an illicit relationship with her, and then used her as material for his work, became a celebrated writer. But R never had the chance to put her side of the story. Tamaki is determined to find out who R really was. A writer herself, she is working on a book about R and begins to uncover clues about the real story behind the novel - and the great tragedy of the novelist's life. While she throws herself into her research she's aware that her own imperfect relationships are also up for scrutiny. Her ex-lover, Seiji, is gravely ill in hospital and her reminiscences about their long affair strike echoes with the subject of her work. In this compelling and illuminating novel, prize-winning author, Natuso Kirino explores the themes of love and death, and the significance of fiction. (Out 2013)

16 comments:

  1. What a good ide to have a themed reading-week. I've never read any japanese books, but after reading this perhaps I should :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through a Japanese obsession a few years back and stocked up on a lot of Japanese books or ones that were set there. I didn't get through many of them but can't wait to pick some up.

      Delete
  2. I never read Japanese novels before, well, just read bunch of mangas, watch animes and J-dr`mas =D This sounds really intriguing and complicated like usually Japanese literatures do, should be really good read.
    Hope you'll get these soon =D
    Thank you for stopping by my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read manga's too :) I hope I do get them :)No worries at all.

      Delete
  3. Glad to have you join us at Wishlist Wednesday! :)
    This has been on my to-read pile for so long now that I've lost track of how far down the list it is! Need to get to it soon!

    Great post! I look forward to seeing you again next week!

    Dani
    Pen to Paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries at all!
      I hate when that happens, pretty sure my wishlist is never ending.

      Delete
  4. Wow, they sounds like such good reads!
    I hope you get a chance to read them, I am personally fascinated with all that's Japanese!

    Love your blog by the way, I am now following ^^
    Aliaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following, I followed back too.
      I hope so too, I can always make to do with the one I do currently have - Grotesque.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for featuring this great author. I have never heard of her before but I'll be sure to look for her books from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any Japanese books before, but these do look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool Japanese books! Hope you'll get a chance to read them!

    Thanks for visiting my Wishlist Wednesday
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard about this author so I'm intrigued. The first two novels, I feel I should read because they are up my alley (murder) but the last one, I'm not too sure about. Hopefully, you review all three (or just the last one) because I want to read your reviews about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I truly hope I get them then so I can help you figure out if you want to read them :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.